Give a classic breakfast a fruity spin! Made with 100% grape juice, this french toast recipe is a sweet addition to your next brunch gathering.
- 2 cups 100% grape juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons water
For french toast:
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch nutmeg
- 8 thick slices brioche
- 1 cup full fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small pot, stir together grape juice and cornstarch dissolved in water.
- Set to medium heat and cook, stirring almost constantly, until bubbling.
- Cook about 3 minutes more until slightly thickened, making sure it doesn’t bubble over.
- Turn off heat and let sit. It will thicken a little more as it cools.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Pull a little bit of bread out of the center of each slice of bread, making a little well, being careful not to make a hole.
- Scoop about ¼ cup ricotta cheese in the well of four of the slices. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Swirl to coat the pan.
- Dip the “sandwiches” into the egg mixture on each side, pressing down slightly so it soaks up the liquid.
- Add to the hot pan and cook about 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip and cook 4-5 minutes on the other side
- Serve warm, drizzled with syrup.
This recipe was contributed by Rachael Wallace Hartley from Avocado A Day Nutrition, as part of the Healthy Aperture blogger partnership.