Cake is always a good idea, and a splash of juice gives this one an extra pop of flavor! Orange you glad you found this recipe?
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- divided zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan with butter and line it with parchment paper (the butter helps the parchment stick to it, making it easier to pour the batter in evenly).
- Beat sugar and butter in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well beaten each one.
- Add the yogurt, 1/4 cup of the orange juice and orange zest and continue beating until well combined.
- Combine the flours, cornmeal, cardamom and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the lined cake pan and spread evenly, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until center is set and edges are just starting to turn golden brown and pull away from the sides of the pan.
- During the last 5-10 minutes of baking time, add the orange juice for the glaze to a small sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil then simmer on low until thickened.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack in the pan. Brush the glaze on the top of the warm cake.
- Let it cool for about 15-20 minutes before removing from the pan and letting cool further directly on the rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
This recipe was provided by Gina Matsoukas from Running to the Kitchen, as part of the Healthy Aperture blogger partnership.